Beautiful weather begs us to do more outdoor living and entertaining – and the trend for incorporating outdoor living spaces, including outdoor kitchens, has never been greater. If you’re thinking of installing an outdoor kitchen, you ‘ll want to consider your lifestyle and the way you entertain, in addition to space constraints and budget. Here are some tips to help make the most of your new outdoor space.
– Use durable materials, such as stainless steel and natural stone, and check with your supplier to ensure that the materials you select are recommended for outdoor use.
– Make sure you have adequate task lighting and plenty of counter space. Poor lighting and skimpy counter space will make for a less than ideal cooking environment.
– Include a shelter that protects from the elements. A shelter will also make it easier to install helpful ventilation and air flow, such as a ceiling fan and/or ventilation hood.
– Choose a flooring material such as porcelain or stone tile that is easy to clean and will stand up to dirt and debris. You’ll want to make sure the flooring has adequate traction, because it will get wet, even if sheltered.
– Consider connecting your outdoor kitchen space to the house on one side for added shelter from wind and weather. This might also provide the possibility of a pass-through window for easy transportation back and forth.
– Include a space for seating near the cooking area so the grill-master can interact with the guests.
– Consider the power of small appliances and don’t skimp on appliances that will really make a difference. You might want to invest in that jumbo grill, for example, if you entertain large crowds frequently. And depending on your lifestyle, small appliances such as a mini fridge, ice-maker, or blender could make a big difference.
For inspiring outdoor kitchen ideas, head over to our Pinterest Board!
Prestige Marble and Granite has the countertops you need to help make your outdoor kitchen a success. We offer an exciting selection of designer natural stones, as well as a large variety of core colors, to complement any design project and any budget. Stop by our indoor showroom anytime; we’re here to help you every step of they way – from selection and layout through fabrication and installation.